I am FINALLY getting down to business on this nursery design and let me say…. the clock is TICKING!
I polled the audience on my instagram with several different nursery design options, and the one that won (plus was my favorite anyway) was a constellation nursery theme! I love this one as well because I am going to execute the wall pattern sans wallpaper- that means washi tape and wall decals exclusively! I can’t wait to get started now that I have a theme. Let’s go through the details shall we?
Overall Design Notes
First, I must mention that the baby name is NOT Olivia. Please do not buy me anything with Olivia on it because it will not get used. The name banner is just a stand in for a DIY I will be doing and I wanted to make sure I included something in the mockup!
Overall color scheme is black, white and pink. I don’t really include the teal as part of the scheme as it is a default piece we already own, but it will definitely keep the room from looking ‘too sweet’ which I love.
This room right now is a big empty box with white walls, dark wood flooring and a window at the far end. It’s nice and dark for baby, but it seriously needs some brightening and cheering up. The main goals in this design were to reuse as many things I already own as possible, as well as take on a few DIY projects that will make the space feel fun and personal. Trust me, I have a LOT of DIYs planned for this room so I seriously need to get a move on. Did I mention I have 8 weeks until baby R arrives? Yikes!
What we are re-using
- We are reusing (as it stands now) a vintage teal overdye persian rug from our old living room. We love this rug because its so durable and shows no stains, so it was important that we found it a good home in this house. It won’t cover the entire wood floor, but we know that there will be play mats and other things that accumulate over time, so this is just the base foundation which provides a good amount of unexpected color.
- The pink chairs in this mockup are just stand-ins for two swivel/rocking chairs that I will be inheriting from my parents as they downsize. I had GRAND plans for how I was going to recover them… but due to price restrictions we are going to settle on pink velvet slipcovers instead of upholstery. Which in the end is fine sine baby will probably destroy them anyway!
- Panda footstool. This has been a staple in my parents house for years, and back when I first lived in San Francisco they let me have it in my apartment for a few years. It’s always been a conversation piece, especially for kids, and although it has nothing to do with the constellation theme it adds texture and more black and white which I love.
DIY Projects Planned
Now these could go horribly awry, but I have quite a bit of DIY’s planned ahead of me.
- Washi Tape constellation wall. I am a bit of a zodiac nut and I know babies see black and white easily, so this is a main feature of the room! I have bought a ton of thin washi tape and star wall decals to complete this in the next few days, and I will definitely be doing a post on this so stay tuned.
- Baby blanket. I make a lot of these custom blankets for my friends’ babies and they always love them because the fabric I get from Spoonflower is incredibly soft! I will definitely be doing a how-to post on this for the sewists out there!
- Bone Inlay side table. Well, I’m going to fake this one too. I LOOOOOVE a good bone inlay piece but I’m going try to save some dough and find myself a lovely old side table and refresh with a little removable wallpaper that only looks like bone inlay! What do you think? Can I do it?
- Fabric name banner. Clearly not sharing this one until the baby is born but I am excited to make this one… it will be easy enough for anyone to do and hopefully make a great impact!
- Various other DIYs. Depending on when this baby comes and how ambitious I feel like being, I might try to make a few pillows for the chairs, a light fixture, crib sheets… the list goes on. Nursery’s are so fun to DIY and I think a great use of my skill set so I’m trying to have as much fun with this one as I can! Feel free to tell me ‘I told you so…’ in a few months if none of it is completed…
If you are not the DIY’er that I am, here are a few links to items I LOVE to complete this room. Who knows… I may end up with a few of these if I run out of time!
1 Constellation Removable Wallpaper // 2 Pink Rocking Chair // 3 Babyletto 3-in-1 Scoot Crib // 4 Neon Rainbow Light // 5 Pottery Barn Quilt // 6 Bone Inlay Side Table // 7 Cloud and Star Pillows // 8 Pottery Barn Dawson Changing Table // 9 Teal Overdye Rug // 10 Panda Footstool