We made it 23 weeks before announcing that I was pregnant…. and only 5 more weeks until getting antsy about announcing the gender!
Before I let you scroll down to see the gender reveal cake that we thoroughly enjoyed, I’m going to tell you how the old wives tales fared in guessing the gender for baby R. After you read through, try to make your own decision before seeing what the gender is! All ‘old wives tales’ from todaysparent.com
1. Sweet versus salty: If you find yourself craving all things sweet, that’s a sign you’re having a girl.
My Answer: Sweet! Girl!
2. Morning sickness: Unfortunately, this early pregnancy symptom doesn’t tend to discriminate. But if you’re suffering from excessive nausea and morning sickness, it’s said you could be having a girl.
My Answer: Barely any morning sickness! Boy!
3. Pregnancy glow, or no? If your complexion is bright and your hair resembles that of a Pantene commercial, you could be having a boy. If that much-talked-about “pregnancy glow” is MIA and you’re breaking out, it may just mean you’ve got a girl growing. (It’s said little girls steal Mom’s good looks.)
My Answer: Acne everywhere, Girl!
4. Partner’s weight gain: As this old wives’ tale goes, if your partner is gaining weight alongside you (also known as “sympathy weight”), that could be a sign that you’re carrying a girl. (Who wants to go to the gym when there’s nesting to be done?)
My Answer: I think he lost weight actually.. :( Boy!
5. Moody versus mellow: If you’re feeling more moody than mellow, you might be having a girl. If you’re more chilled out, legend has it you should get ready for a boy.
My Answer: I think this one is bogus, but Girl!
6. Carrying high versus low: According to pregnancy lore, carrying high means you’re having a girl, while carrying low means it’s a boy.
My Answer: Not sure, but definitely not low, Girl!
7. Chinese gender chart: Place one finger on the age you were when you conceived and another finger on the month of conception. Where your fingers meet in the middle will tell you if you’re expecting a little boy or girl. Are you ready to try this fun chart out? Find it here.
My Answer: Girl!
8. The eye test: Look in the mirror for about a minute. If your pupils are dilating, it means you’re having a boy.
My Answer: Girl!
Ok think you know what it is?
In order for us to find out, we had our doctor write the gender down on a piece of paper and put it into an envelope. We gave the envelope to our favorite bakery to make us a special gender reveal cake, which would reveal either pink or blue frosting once we cut into it.
Well… were you right???? It’s crazy how well some of those old wives tales did! Even though most of them came out as a girl, we still thought for sure we were having a boy, so we were SHOCKED to find out that coming in March we will have a mini Style Safari fashionista on our hands!
We’re both very excited and can’t wait to meet our baby girl. Mr. R was in shock at first as he fully expected to be rough housing with his son in a few years… but I think she’ll have him wrapped around his little finger in no time ;)