It’s been over a year since I began my slow slow fashion journey, and I’ve discovered a lot about my shopping habits and style in the process.
I’ve realized that I seriously want less in my life. I know we all say that, but moving homes and preparing for a baby as I did a few months ago reminds you of all of the things you accumulate and how a clear house can lead to a clear mind. Therefore, the biggest change I have made to my shopping is buying less overall.
I’ve also realized that it’s hard for me to express my style and get excited to get dressed every morning without bold color, fun prints, and exciting silhouettes to wear. This makes wearing many sustainable fashion brands hard for me, as they tend to be a bit too simple for my style.
Lastly, I’ve realized that mostly what I don’t like wearing often are items that are too restrictive (call it the pregnancy or playing around with baby), which means buying less fitted dresses, skinny jeans, and stiff fabrics. Although I love them for a date out, I can simply rent them… and not have to fill my closet with pieces I wear less often.
Now that I’ve learned these things about my style and shopping habits, it’s much easier to shop sustainably with a clearer focus, and be more willing to spend money on items that might have originally been out of my price range. I’ve put together a bit of a wishlist for a sustainable summer wardrobe that I think you will all love, because I do! Over the last week I have been able to see/feel/try on every one of these items in person and I love them all so much. Many of them (especially the Ace & Jig pieces) are so much more incredible in person; the images don’t do justice to the unique texture and quality of the fabrics. Plus I love the color and fit on all the items as well, none of which are ‘trendy’ but all of them make a statement that is strong enough for me to wear now and for summers of the future.
Your 10 Piece Sustainable Summer Wardrobe
- Amur Embroidered Top – Love this worn with the matching skirt for weddings and events, or worn separately with the yellow pants for a more casual look #FairTrade #OrganicCotton #AvailabletoRent
- Amur Embroidered Skirt – Again perfect as a set or with the plain Tee of your choice! #FairTrade #OrganicCotton #AvailabletoRent
- Everlane Oversized Air Tee – The perfect cut to make any outfit look a little more casual cool. #FairTrade #SustainablyProduced
- Ace & Jig Dusty Dress – The Textured Rainbow stripe on this dress is perfection and a total classic. #FairTrade #SustainablyProduced
- Xirena Bathing Suit Top and Bottom – Love the color blocking and sporty silhouette, plus the cut is flattering on so many body types #FairTrade #MadeinUSA
- Ace & Jig Marfa Top – This top had me by the insanely luxe and supple fabric, love it paired with the golden yellow culottes #FairTrade #SustainablyProduced
- Everlane Crop Pant – The color is bold, the shape is flattering with heels or flats, and no more skinny jeans please. #FairTrade #SustainablyProduced
- Xirena Kendall Dress – The color is red hot as it says, and the gauzy swingy shape is the perfect beach coverup or hang out in all day dress #FairTrade #MadeinUSA
- Ace & Jig Mojave Skirt – An update on a classic gingham skirt, this easy shape would look so great with a white tee or black tank and simple gold accessories. #FairTrade #SustainablyProduced
- The Podolls Alder Dress – You know I love a good shibori, and the shape of this dress is casual enough to wear for day but the luxe silk works for night. Belt it and pair with boots for a totally different look. #FairTrade #SustainablyProduced