Last week I highlighted 5 recent purchases that I’ve made and regretted, and this week it’s time to flip the script and share the 9 most worn items in my closet. Some of them are exact pieces, and some represent a larger category of clothing that I love and have built upon. A few years ago I wrote a post about my 11 closet essentials to hack into the styling tricks of the professionals, but this is a bit more focused on my favorite pieces and why they work for me. I would never call this a ‘capsule wardrobe’ since I don’t believe in them, but I do believe in finding styles that work for you and buying them in every color you can! Here we go!
- Oversize Denim Jacket – An oversized, slightly distressed denim jacket has been my favorite topper for long dresses, sporty looks, and girly skirts for a long time, and it’s the perfect lightweight piece to travel with in warm weather vacations. A pale denim is a good place to start, but was really a gateway drug for more colors and patterns that snuck into my wardrobe over time. I love the oversized silhouette because it feels slouchy like your favorite comfy sweatshirt, and looks cool over feminine pieces. Once you nail the silhouette down, I don’t think you can go wrong with color or pattern. I have a red and a polka dot style, and will probably add this yellow to my collection soon as well!
- Classic Leather Jacket – This exact piece is a staple in my wardrobe, for the same reasons as the denim jacket, but for cooler weather. It’s crucial in San Francisco to have a great leather jacket, but I think zero-ing in on one that has just enough hardware details without being too hardcore is actually hard to find. I swear by this one not only because I own it, but because I developed it when I worked for Coach. I promise you its the best moto around!
- Oversize Deep V Tee – I don’t wear t-shirts often because I am extremely particular with the cut of them, and generally I am not a ‘jeans and t shirt’ type of gal. However, with a great jacket or tucked into a cute skirt, I can be convinced that a basic tee is, well, a necessity. I love this Everlane deep V tee because #FairTrade and again, the oversized shape and longer sleeve feels cool and modern. As for colors, I only wear black and white in basic tees… everything else seems a little casual for my style (otherwise I would just put on workout clothing!).
- Embroidered Peasant Dress – This dress I just bought and haven’t photographed yet, but really acts as a stand-in for a whole category of lovely embroidered dresses that I am starting to amass and obsess over equally. Why? Because they are beautifully made, represent my love for global textiles and embellishment techniques, and are comfy as hell. I wear them wine tasting, to dinner, on the plane, on a boat, with a goat… you get the picture. When I wear them I am instantly transported to Morocco or Tuscany or Nantucket or my backyard with a glass of wine. Yes, that’s how perfect they are… for EVERYTHING.
- Straight Crop Jean – I don’t wear jeans very often, but if I do, they are generally a slightly looser, tailored crop style. I feel more comfortable in a straight leg style, because if it’s a casual enough situation where I’m wearing jeans, then I would rather them be looser. Plus, a crop works with sneakers, heals and sandals, which makes them great for traveling. And since I love this cut so much, I’ve started to look for them in my pant styles as well, which I’ve found with these Everlane pants. I have them in golden yellow and want them in bone and black as well.
6. Embroidered Blouses – The second ‘catch all’ category on my list are my embroidered/embellished/crazy printed loose blouses. I LOVEEEEE wearing them with basically anything on bottom, as I feel bold and interesting and feminine in one fell swoop. Plus, they are all great for nursing! I actually have the one pictured above but haven’t worn it on the blog yet… maybe because I like it so much I want to keep it for myself? Who knows!
7. White Sneakers – You have seen me wear these Veja sneakers again and again and it’s obvious why. They go with everything! I also love that they are #SustainablyProduced and #FairTrade, and love that they will never make me feel too old to wear velcro. I believe everyone needs a classic white sneaker, and once you have it, you will find you rarely reach for anything else!
8. Black and White Striped Long Sleeve Tee – I don’t own this exact one, but I have a similar style that I liked so much from Banana Republic 3 years ago that I bought 2. I actually think finding a great long sleeve striped tee is really difficult, and I’ve heard this heavier weight #FairTrade version from Everlane is a great choice. But the one thing that I have to note is that it’s actually hard to find a black and white striped tee- they are all NAVY and white, which just doesn’t work for me. Black and white has so much more styling capabilities than navy does!
9. White Ankle Boots – I think this is probably the trendiest item on this list, but a good example of how a trendy item can become a seasonal staple in your wardrobe. I style these boots with everything from long dresses to track pants to shorts, and they always make the outfit look cool. White shoes are something I standby for sure, but the other important detail is the comfortable, walkable heel. Before I was into the white, I was into a burgundy color that I still wear religiously. So the question is… which color of this style will be next?