It’s been a while since I checked in on myself and my shopping habit. If you recall back in January, I decided to embrace slow fashion and shop smarter, more consciously, and most importantly, LESS. Since I was averaging about 15 new items a month, I set a goal of no more than 8 a month (including underwear!) to cut down on the amount of new things coming into my house and eventually… ending up in landfill and destroying our beautiful planet.
While I think I hit my goal in May and July, I’m pretty sure I failed in June and August (Net a Porter sale and Italy Trip, respectively). I figured its time to get back on the accountability train for September and hopefully you all will join me in my quest to shop smarter, and less often. Here I will let you know what I bought during the month of September and WHY, which will hopefully help me to understand my shopping impulses and cut down even more.
How did I do it? Back in August I started using Rent the Runway’s Unlimited service, which has provided me with a rotating closet of styles that I can wear and send back on my own timeline, which has helped cut down on shopping for weddings, fashion week, and baby showers. You can read all about my experience in this post.
Let’s get on to the purchases, shall we?
- Zara Trench Coat Vest: Bought this originally for Fashion week and loved it so much I wrote a post about it here. It’s versatility and classiness is beyond compare, and its perfect for transitional weather.
- Forever21 Burgundy Quilted Bag: Truthfully I never shop here because I feel terrible about what this company does to it’s employees and the environment in order to sell things so affordably. However fashion week called and I needed something to match my burgundy shoes. Am I proud of this? No, but I have worn the bag a lot.
- ASOS Off Shoulder Sweatshirt Wrap: Full Disclosure I am in love with this piece. It is comfortable, somehow classy, and interesting all in one tightly wrapped little sweatshirt. I strongly recommend this piece to anyone!
- Rag & Bone Jeans: I bought these in a lighter wash back in February and they are my MOST WORN jeans by far. I spent so much on the first pair, but when these were offered at an even deeper discount, I pounced on the chance for a second pair. They’re amazing, enough said.
- Uniqlo x JW Anderson Striped Sweater: I just ordered this last week and my package hasn’t arrived yet so I can’t speak to the quality, but on looks alone this will be another perfect striped sweater that works for Tahoe and fall vacations! Plus I love designer collaborations so…
- Zara Sock Ankle Boots: The most surprising purchase of all month. I bought these for Fashion week as well and figured the low heel would be wearable for the NYC streets. Little did I know that they pair with everything and the burgundy color is so fresh. Plan on seeing a LOT of these over the coming weeks because they are comfy as hell and make every look mucho mejor!
- Uniqlo x JW Anderson Striped Scarf: See above for designer collabs. Did I need this scarf? Absolutely not. But how cute will it be worn with basically everything else in this collage…??? I mean, a girl’s gotta have a little fun right?
Anyway, I purchased items and my goal was 8 or less. So it looks like I beat my goal but my hope is to buy even less next month OR buy from more sustainable brands. Check out my full Slow Fashion category to see past purchases, favorite sustainable brands, and how you can incorporate more sustainable living into your own routine!